Department of Botany is one of the most seasoned departments of the esteemed St. John’s College, Palayamkottai. Before all else, the Pre-University Course on Natural Science was educated in the year 1947. The Undergraduate Botany Degree was presented in the year 1959. In the year1981, the department was overhauled as a Post Graduate Department with the presentation of M.Sc. Botany course. The Post Graduate Department of Botany was allowed the status of Research Center by the Manonmaniam Sundaranar University from 2007. As for as the curriculum is concerned, B. Sc. and M.Sc. Botany degree courses are as per the Manonmaniam Sundaranar University syllabi. Career oriented certificate course on herbal medicine was conducted from 2010-2015. The Department has created numerous laurels to the society. The alumni of this department have held different prominent professions as Principals, Scientists, Directors, Professors, Teachers, IPS officers, Lawyers, Reverends, Bank officers and so on. Today the department is honoured with 10 teaching fraternities, five non-teaching staff members and about 120 students and researchers. The Department has produced10 doctorates under M.S University and 10 more researchers are examining their exploration in the department. Under UGC concede on Career Oriented Course, Herbal Museum and Smart Class Room were setup in the department. Different major and minor ventures were done under the budgetary given by UGC, MOES,IAMWARM, TWAD and TNSCST.
Intermittently, the office is sorting out national and state level gathering, classes, workshops and summer schools. Around 100 research papers have been published in National and International Journals and Conference proceedings. Students are urged to take an interest in different Competitions, Seminars, Workshops, paper and blurb introduction. The students have acquired numerous laurels both scholastic and non-scholarly exercises. Worthy accomplishments by the students in getting university positions at UG and PG level is an extra plume to the cap. Nature Club activities are being sorted out by the Faculty of the Botany Department.
In the future, the department has plans to expand our department with flying colours by setting up a Tissue Culture research Lab, Molecular Biology lab and a Botanical Garden. We trust that it would be conceivable with the solidarity and participation of the department.
- Under UGC granted Career Oriented Course, Herbal Museum and Smart Class Room were setup in the department.
- Various major and minor projects were carried out with the financial assistance of UGC, MoES, IAMWARM, TWAD and TNSCST.
- Periodically, the department is organizing National and State level Conferences, Seminars, Workshops and Summer Schools.
- Around 100 research papers have been published in National and International Journals and Conference Proceedings.
- Students are also encouraged to participate in various competitions, Seminars, Exhibitions, Paper and Poster Presentations. The students have brought many laurels in academic and non-academic activities.
- Meritorious achievements by the students in getting university ranks at UG and PG level is also an add-on feather to the cap.
- Nature Club activities are being organized by the faculty of the Botany Department.
- The department has been producing rank holders every year.
- The department has adapted 3 villages to create Environmental awareness programmes.
- The department has successfully conducted several national, regional workshops, symposia, field training exhibitions and other motivational programmes for faculty members, research scholars and students.
- The recently renovated state-of-art museum is a mile stone in the path of the development.
- The department has produced more than 12 Ph. D’s and more than 10 research scholars are pursuing for their Ph. D’s.
- In future, the Department plans to extend research activities by establishing a Tissue Culture laboratory, Molecular Biology laboratory, phytochemical laboratory and a Botanical Garden. It would be possible with the grace of Almighty, support of the Management, and zeal, tireless and devotion of the faculty of the department.
There is a question bank with numerous question papers of different sections of different years. They are used regularly by students for their academic progress.
THE DEPARTMENT LIBRARY
The department has a library formed by the contribution of books by the staff members. It contains books. Further addition is in progress. We are lending books to the students for reference. The department has also a separate rack with valuable reference books, which are constantly used by the staff for research purpose and the students for project work and the alumni for extension.
CAREER ORIENTED COURSES
The UGC sponsored COC in ‘Herbal Medicines’ at the Certificate, diploma and post diploma level was completed 2010 and 2015.
|B.Sc. Botany||M.Sc. Botany||Ph.D. Botany|
|1||Dr.S.Abraham Muthukumar,M.Sc.,M.Phil.,Ph.D.||Associate Professor & Head|
|2||Dr.(Miss) P.Annie Sulochasna Selvakumari,M.Sc.,SET,Ph.D.||Associate Professor|
|3||Dr.(Miss) R.Selvakumari,M.Sc.,M.Phil.,Ph.D.||Associate Professor|
|4||Dr.D.Amis Abraham,M.Sc.,M.Phil.,M.A.,B.Ed.,M.Phil.,Ph.D.||Associate Professor|
|5||Mrs.P.Kanimozhi Celina,M.Sc.,B.Ed.,M.Phil.,||Assistant Professor|
|6||Dr.A.Pauldurai Samraj,M.Sc.,M.Phil.,M.Ed.,M.Phil.,Ph.D.,||Assistant Professor|
|7||Dr.S.Paul David Selson,M.Sc.,M.Ed.,M.Phil.,Ph.D.,||Assistant Professor|
|8||Dr.D.Abiya Chelliah,M.Sc.,Ph.D,SET.,||Assistant Professor|