A small and unpretentious Anglo-vernacular School established by the Church Missionary society in 1844 in a rented building in palayamkottai was the tiny seed from which grew, St. John’s College, now an acknowledged institution in the academic field. In the year 1957 the under graduate department of physics had been originate during the period of Prof. Vedasironmani. Prof. Vedasironmani’s period witnessed the building of the physics block. Dr.R.K Jacob assumed charge as principal in October 2004. The long awaited M.sc physics were started in 2006, as an initiative to develop and to elevate the post graduate department into a Research department M.Phil course was started in the year 2013.
Late Major Dr. Alex Devadoss M.Phil. PhD was the first Head of the department.16 M.Phil scholars were successfully completed their degree and more than 50 post graduate students completed their degree and continued their carrier
as assistant professors in various colleges. And also employed in various fields. There are five staff members in our department who registered their PhD under various guides. Our department has elevated as research department in the academic year 2017-2018.
We have planned to raise our department as a Research department and planned to get minor and major projects.
|1||Dr.C.Stella Rani,M.Sc.,M.Phil.||Assistant Professor & Head|
|2||Dr.J.Ruby Jemima,M.Sc.,M.Phil.||Assistant Professor|
|3||Mrs.E.Christy Jerin,M.Sc.,M.Phil.,SET.||Assistant Professor|
|4||Mrs.G.Gomathi Sankari,M.Sc.,M.Phil.||Assistant Professor|
|5||Dr.P.Sumithraj Premkumar,M.Sc.,M.Phil.,Ph.D.||Assistant Professor|
|6||Dr.D.S.Christy, M.Sc.,M.Phil.,Ph.D.||Assistant Professor|